Monday, April 21, 2008

Notes from Sunday - 4/20/08

- Yesterday was our next to last worship service at our Gramercy location, where Mt. Sinai Church has met for about 40 years. This coming Sunday will be our last service there. While we praise God for the new facilities he has given us, it is sad to leave a place of meeting that has meant so much to so many of us for so many years.

- I preached a message from Mark 14:3-9. I called it, "Expressing your Devotion to Jesus." The point of the message is that you should do express your devotion to Jesus the best you can, while you can.

- As I get to the end our time at the Gramercy location, I have found it harder to determine what to preach. This is one of the reasons why I found being in an extended sermon series so helpful. And I plan to jump right into one on the first Sunday in May: The Sermon on the Mount (Matthew 5-7).

- I was preaching in Sacramento on the second Sunday of April. And during the worship service yesterday, I kept thinking about how much miss being with them when I am away. I mentioned this at the end of the service. And many of the members assured me after service that they miss me just as much. It was very encouraging.

- My wife is recovering and doing better every day. Her doctor is concerned that she is doing too much too fast. But it is good to see her up and about again. And she is in straight "Mother Bear" mode. She is absolutely determined to keep me, H.B., and Natalie from "infecting" Hailey with our germs. To her dismay, the three of us are absolutely determined to hold, kiss, and play with Hailey at every available opportunity.

- I have a new appreciation for what Crystal goes through on Sunday mornings to get our little ones ready for worship. When I couldn't take any more of their antics Sunday morning, I threatened to leave them at home with their mother. They responded by running out the door and standing by the car until I was ready to go. Funny.

- Sunday afternoon, our congregation attended the 33rd pastoral anniversary celebration for Pastor Melvin Wade and the Mt. Moriah Baptist Church.

- Pastor R.A. Williams, who leads the McCoy Memorial Church in L.A., brought the message.

- The HBO miniseries, "John Adams," ended Sunday night. The series was stellar, captivating, and wish-it-didn't-have-to-end enjoyable. I have not read the McCullough's book yet. But after seeing the series, I am all the more eager to read the book. Alas, so many books; so little time.

- I am not a bandwagon fan. And I still refuse to cheer on the Lakers.