Monday, July 02, 2007

Starting Joshua - for real, this time!

I finally began the exposition of Joshua I have been planning to do for some months. I have scheduled to begin this study three different times, and have run into roadblocks each time. But I was settled in heart that this was the time to start. And I was really excited about preaching this past Sunday. I was scheduled to be in Detroit last week. But flight cancellations, weather, and providence prevented me from going. However, my bags did make the trip - my bags that I packed with about 15 commentaries to help me in my study. I usually don't carry books on the road. I usually take copied pages for me to mark up. I think I took the books this time because I wanted to read some of the front matter and introductions to Joshua. And I ended up being without them in my study. So that, along with my schedule confusion, put me way behind in my study. And I was not able to write out my message. I just prepared an extended outline, and preached the message extemporaneously, basically. Having said all that, the Lord helped me in preaching Sunday. And I praise him for that.

Here is the sermon skeleton from Sunday's message.

Title: "Safely Crossing the Bridges of Life"

Text: Joshua 1:1-9

Theme: God commissions Joshua to lead the children of Israel to claim and conquer the promised land of Canaan.

Point: You can safely cross the bridges of life by going forward with God.

Outline:

I. Go forward with obedience to God's commands (1:1-2)
A. God commands you to go forward in spite of the difficulty of the times (v. 2a)
B. God commands you to go forward in spite of the difficultly of the task (v. 2b)
II. Go forward with confidence in God's promises (1:3-6)
A. Trust the promises of God as you face opportunities in life (vv. 3-4)
B. Trust the promises of God as you face opposition in life (vv. 5-6)
1. Trust God's promises when you face external opposition (v. 5)
2. Trust God's promises when you face internal opposition (v. 6)
III. Go forward with devotion to God's word (1:7-8)
A. Submit to the authority of God's word (vv. 7-8)
B. Embrace the truth of God's word (v. 8)
C. Focus on the blessings of God's word (vv. 7-8)
IV. Go forward with assurance of God's presence (1:9)

Special Note: Dr. Reginald Terry of Antioch Baptist Church in Omaha is currently preaching through the book of Joshua. And over the past week he has been extremely helpful to me as I begin this study. Along with my resources, I have had the benefit of him sharing his notes with me and talking me through how he approached his opening expositions of Joshua. His help has been invaluable. And I really appreciate his kindness and friendship.