I was supposed to begin an exposition of the book of Joshua this past Sunday. But it is going to take me a few more weeks to be ready to begin. However, I didn't come to terms with that until the middle of last week. And Sunday was coming with a fast and in a hurry. So I have to switch gears quickly. First, I had to determine if I was going to preach. But that was a no-brainer, as tired as I was. I couldn't wait to get home from OKC to get back into my own pulpit. I felt a burden to preach. But what would I preach? I had been meditating on Hebrews 4:14-16 all week. And at some point, meditation turned into exposition. And I was comfortable enough with it by Sunday to take it to the pulpit. I trust that it was a blessing to the congregation. Here is the sermon skeleton:
Title: "Our Great High Priest"
Text: Hebrews 4:14-16
Theme: The high priestly ministry of Jesus Christ
Point: Jesus Christ is our great high priest who ministers everything faith requires to live for God.
- The Superiority of our Great High Priest (4:14)
- Where is our high priest? (v. 14a)
- Who is our high priest? (v. 14b)
- What is the does any of this make? (v. 14c)
- The Sympathy of our Great High Priest (4:15)
- Jesus cares about your struggles (v. 15a).
- Jesus knows about your struggles (v. 15b).
- The Sufficiency of our Great High Priest (4:16)
- The sufficiency of Jesus Christ is demonstrated in the privilege of prayer.
- We can draw near to God continually.
- We can draw near to God with confidence.
- The sufficiency of Jesus Christ is demonstrated in the power of prayer.
- God will give your mercy to cover your past sins.
- God will give you grace to help you with today's trials.