Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Thankful for a Great Preaching Station

I exhorted the congregation of MSMBC to be thankful this past Sunday. As I walked to my car after church, my heart and mind were filled with gratitude for the privilege of ministering the word each in week in such a great pulpit. The Lord has truly blessed me to serve him at a place that fits my gifts, sense of calling, and personal convictions. I feel a great sense of freedom to preach my heart and to lead as I believe the Lord is leading me. And MSMBC always prove to be a prayerful, supportive, and edifying team to serve with. I am truly grateful for the opportunity to serve as pastor-teacher of MSMBC.

I began a series of messages this Sunday entitled, “Resolved! Taking Advantage of a New Beginning.” Here is the sermon skeleton from Sunday’s message:

Title: “Resolved to Give Thanks”

Text: Luke 17:11-19

Theme: The benefits of responding with thanksgiving to the healing grace of Jesus Christ

Point: The greatest demonstration of the life-changing power of Jesus Christ is reserved for the one who goes out of his way to give him thanks.

Outline:

I. Trust in the mercy of the Lord Jesus (17:11-13).

II. Obey the commands of the Lord Jesus (17:14).

A. Jesus often calls us to participate in the process of our own blessings by doing what doesn’t make sense.

B. Faith obeys the commands of the Lord Jesus.

C. The Lord has a way of fixing your situation as you do what he commands you to do.

III. Give thanks for the goodness of the Lord Jesus (17:15-16).

A. Go out of your way to give thanks to Jesus.

B. Offer your grateful to Jesus wholeheartedly.

C. Thanksgiving to and for Jesus is the highest praise to God.

IV. Receive the salvation of the Lord Jesus (17:17-19).

A. Jesus expects everyone he blesses to come back and give him thanks.

B. Jesus is grieved when you do not come back to thank him for his blessings.

C. Jesus rewards the faith expressed by those who go out of their way to give him thanks.