Wednesday, January 10, 2007

MSMBC Vision Night 2007

Our first Midweek Service of the year at Mt. Sinai is designated as “Vision Night.” No, I do not reveal to the church the “fresh word” I have received from the Lord for the year (Think, “It’s your year; slap your neighbor, turn around three times, praise him to you get your... pull it down…” Sorry for that. I couldn’t resist). In fact, we really don’t do a church theme for the year. We try to let both the preaching and periodic special emphases guide our planning. What we do on Vision Night is pray for the upcoming year of mission and ministry. We sing praises to God together. And I usually give a “State of the Church Address.” Last year,I preached this meeting. But this year I will again give my congregational address. It’s nothing formal. I just use the opportunity to remind the congregation of what the Lord has done in, through, and for us over the course of the last year. And I endeavor to chart the course for the coming year, introducing new leaders, updating program changes, and describing special goals, projects, and efforts.

MSMBC exists to win more Christians to develop better Christians. Period. That’s all we are about. And we don’t what this to be just a slogan for us. We want it to be the Christ-centered priority that shapes our life together. And we strive to make sure that the major things we endeavor support this fundamental mission. My prayer is that we will be a biblically-functioning church in every way. And that the Headship of the Lord Jesus will be freely and fully exercised in our lives, relationships, and service. And I am very excited to see how the Lord will work in and through us this year. Indeed, we have some challenges that we are facing. But I face them all with faith-filled hope. And I am so glad and grateful for that. Honestly, I was not there last year this time. I started 2006 at such a low point that the only prudent thing for me to do was to preach, rather than to give a “State of the Church Address.” But the Lord sustained me through that dark period and has renewed my sense of vision, focus, and passion for my work here. And I can say with all sincerity that our dreams are greater than our memories.

I’m asking all of our members and friends to pray for tonight’s service and for this year of ministry at MSMBC. And may the Lord be obviously present and actively in-charge wherever he has planted you to serve. God bless

“I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth. – 3 John 4