Thursday, January 12, 2006

Still Trying to Get into a Rhythm

Howdy.

It's a new year. And I am motivated, excited, and focused. But it has hard for me to get into a rhythm. I am still getting done the things that I need to do. But I am not yet in a "groove" in terms of how I am governing my time. I think my problem is that I am fighting off the early stages of a cold. I have been taking medicine, which always makes me drowsy, no matter what the box says. And when I have not been feeling well, I have been trying to just lay down. Rest is usually the only thing that really works for me. I hope to win this battle with these cold symptoms. I really don't want to start my new year this way.

This past Sunday, I took a shot at the sin of anxiety. I preached from Matthew 6:25-34. I called it "What Are You Worrying About?" (The audio of the message is on our church website.) It seemed to be a very timely message for many people in our congregation. Yesterday, we had our "Vision Night" service. This is the time when I usually give my "State of the Church Address." I review the previous year of ministry and do some "vision casting" for the upcoming year. Last night, I didn't really give the address, even though I had the message right in front of me. As the old-folk used to say, "I felt the prayer-wheel turning." So I just gave the the major points that I wanted to make, challenging the church to "Get Connected" to one another in the coming year. Then we spent time in prayer with and for one another. It was a good meeting.

This Sunday, I am working on a exposition of one of the miracles of Jesus. I'm telling you, I need to get into a series soon. I am not good at deciding week-to-week what I am going to preach. There are too many texts that grip my mind and heart and attention for preaching. I have friends who can't understand how I select a series that charts my preaching a year in advance. In contrast, I can't understand my friends who have to figure out what they are going to preach each week. I am too busy, passionate, and undisciplined. I have to know where I am going from week-to-week, so that can actually spend my time studying, not figuring out what I am going to study.

This Sunday, I will also resume teaching my Sunday School Class. I plan to teach a series on the so-called "seven deadly sins." I am calling the series, "Overcoming Sinful Attitudes." I intend to start this Sunday by teaching on overcoming pride. Next Wednesday, I am scheduled to begin our verse-by-verse exposition of Psalm 119, which I will preach during our Midweek Worship Services. And on next Thursday and Friday, I will preach my first "revival" of the year. So my plate is pretty full. So I must get into some kind of rhythm quick, fast, and in a hurry. Pray for me.