Monday, January 23, 2006

Monday Morning Quarterback

Yesterday was a blessed day of worship at Mt. Sinai. I have just begun a series of lessons in my Sunday School class on the "seven deadly sins." I'm calling it "Overcoming Sinful Attitudes." Yesterday, I finished the first lesson on "overcoming Pride." It is my intentional to teach through each lesson in one class session. But I was not able to finish this lesson in the hour I had. I hope this does not become a pattern for the rest of the lessons. I have not taught this class since the summer of last year. But I am glad to be back with them. I really do enjoy teaching this Sunday School class. I have an attentive class that comes to learn. We ought to call it "The Berean Fellowship" (Acts 17:11).

I led the opening songs yesterday in our worship service. I love to sing praises to the Lord. And I enjoy leading times of praise in our church services. I don't do it that often any more, however. And that's probably a good thing. I may be good that I do it even less, I'm not sure. Anyway, I preached on "The Rich Fool" yesterday.(The audio of the message is on our church website.) It was a challenging message to preach, as it called the church to declare war on greed. But I think it was clear. As always, I hope it was helpful. Only time will tell.

I am preparing to continue our study of Psalm 119 for our Midweek Service this coming Wednesday. I am studying verses 9-16. I am tentatively calling the message, "How to Clean Up your Life." Thursday and Friday, I am scheduled to preach at the New Revelation Baptist Church in Pasadena. For the past several years, they have begun the year with a 31-day church revival. This will be the second time I have participated in this meeting. Then, Sunday, I plan to do an exposition of Ezekiel 37:1-14. It will be the first time I have ever preached on Ezekiel's vision of the valley of dry bones. I don't know how anyone can consider me a real preach, in light of the fact that I have preached on the "dry bones in the valley." So, hopefully, this Sunday I will earn my ordination by preaching this great text. Along with much study, I have quite of few meetings to scheduled for this week. And I have several writing assignments to complete. Pray for me.