Sunday, August 09, 2009

Notes from Sunday - 08/09/09

Today was a good day of worship. I was glad to be in the service one more time.

I finally finished Lesson #11 in my New Members Class. I know my class members are class that we finally finished that lesson after more than four weeks. I really enjoy teaching the New Members Class.

Our children’s choir sung during our 10 AM service. It was great. Natalie helped to lead one of the songs. She does not get her singing from her mother!

I felt such a sense of the presence of God in our service this morning as our choir sung about the holiness of God.

I continued my exposition of Philippians. I preached from Philippians 2:14-16. I called it, “Let’s Work Together.”

I endeavored to make the point that we work out our own salvation (vv. 12-13) by working together as children of God.

I was prayerful this morning that the Lord would move to comfort those who were troubled in our worship services today. But I was concerned that my sermon for today was not a comforting sermon. However, several people shared with me how the message ministered to them as they faced challenges in their lives. It always amazes me how the Lord can take my preaching “out of context” to do what he wants to do in the lives of his people. To God be the glory!

Concerning my text today, one commentator says that this is one of those places where the listener thinks: “Rev. has gone from preaching to meddling.” The fact that Paul addresses something so specific and practical as “grumbling and questioning” says to me that faithful preaching does both.

Next week’s sermon: “How to be a Living Sermon” (Philippians 2:16-18).

Praise God for those who were saved and added to the church in our worship services today.

Today was the day I made “the announcement” one year ago. It is still painful to think about it.