Thursday, April 16, 2009

Speaking @ the 2009 OKC Simultaneous Revival

I am in Oklahoma City, preaching a revival for Dr. John A. Reed Jr. and the Fairview Missionary Baptist Church. I started Tuesday night. And I am scheduled to preach through Friday night.

My father preached this meeting for Dr. Reed for many years. After his death, Pastor Reed invited me to do this meeting for him. The year was 1990. I was 17 years old. And I have preached this meeting the week after Easter every since then, except for three years. Last year, I was unable to come because Hailey was born the day after Easter. Pop "fired" me to make sure I was home with Crystal for Hailey's birth. Good looking out.

In my absence last year, Pop invited Dr. Tom Diamond of the Abyssinia Baptist Church in Jacksonville to preach this meeting for him at Fairview. He invited Dr. Diamond again this year. He is lecturing each night before i preach. And it has been a great blessing to fellowship with him over these past two nights.

A simultaneous revival is when a group of churches hold a revival at the same time in partnership with one another. This is the 65th year this meeting has taken place in OKC. Some 25 local churches are in revival with their own guest preacher. At noon, the churches come together and one of the guests speak in this mass service. At 7 PM, each church holds their own service. Then at 10 PM, a late night service takes place, with one of the guest bring the message.

Tonight, my pastor from Los Angeles, Dr. Melvin Wade, brought the message in the Late night service. He was stellar.

By brother, Kevin Willis, is also here preaching at the Tabitha Baptist Church.

And my boyhood friend and fellow "son of Sinai," Reginald Payne, Pastor of the Full Gospel Baptist Church in Los Angeles, is here speaking as well.

There are many other great preachers here, such as L.K. Curry, Wallace Hartsfield, Stephen Thurston, C.W. Wallace, the Bailey brothers, Roscoe Bradley, Sir Walter Mack, Reginald Reid, C.J.R. Phillips, and Ricky Carter, among others.

My mom, baby sister, and other family members live here in Oklahoma City. But I have not had much time to spend with them, unfortunately, between their work schedules and my service schedule.

I have two more nights to preach. And I am also scheduled to preach the late night service this Friday night at 10 PM.

Please remember this meeting in your prayers. May the Lord send a true revival to the Oklahoma City.