Monday, February 23, 2009

An Exhortation to Hope in God

Yesterday I took a shot at one of the great texts of the Bible. In what is arguably the darkest book in the sacred scriptures, there is this great statement of faith and confidence in God.

I know that there are many people in my congregation who are facing various dangers, toils, and snares. And I have been burdened to say something that would be an encouraged over these past several weeks. This text gripped me because it is a "Big-God" text. It doesn't give any answers, explanations, or promises. It just simply points to the goodness, faithfulness, and sufficiency of God and bids us to put all of our confidence in him.

Most preachers know what it's like to have a great time with God in the study. And then to feel like the sermon you presented didn't live up to what you learned from God in private. That's where I was yesterday. But I praise God for the fact that his grace is sufficient and his strength is perfected in our weaknesses.

I cannot wait to have the opportunity to preach this sermon again.

Here is the sermon skeleton.

Title: "The Reason for My Hope"

Text: Lamentations 3:21-24

Theme: Hope in God

Point: Because God is God, there is hope - even in the midst of a seemingly hopeless situation.

Outline:

I. The Lord is good all the time (3:22-23a).

    A. God's steadfast love (v. 22a)

    B. God's compassionate mercies (v. 22b)

    C. God's renewed favor (v. 23a)

       1. The novelty of God's favor: new

       2. The consistency of God's favor: every morning

II. The Lord is worthy to be praised (3:23b).

    A. God is always faithful.

    B. God is more than faithful.

III. The Lord is all you need (3:24).