Monday, October 13, 2008

Notes from Sunday - 10/12/08

We had a good day of worship and fellowship at Shiloh Church. I am overwhelmed with gratitude for the great way the Lord is blessing these opening weeks of our life together as pastor and people.

I began a little mini-series on the two parables on prayer that Jesus tells in the Gospel of Luke. I preached a message from Luke 11:1-13, which I called "God Is Not A Sleepy Friend."

I plan to complete the series this coming Sunday with a message on Luke 18:1-8, which I intend to call, "God Is Not a Crooked Judge."

I sat in a portion of the Married Couple's Bible Study Fellowship group meeting. Pastor Mike Rodgers is the teacher. The lesson was from the latter portion of Matthew 6. I was good for me to think about the Lord's instructions on worldliness and worry in the context of a discussion of marital relationships.

I am slowly but surely becoming more comfortable in my new pulpit, even though it is still an adjustment to me to be ministering to a new congregation after 17 years in the same pulpit. But I thoroughly enjoy preaching to Shiloh. What a great place to preach!

As the weeks go by, more people are sticking around to greet me after the services. The kind words and opportunity to meet the members of Shiloh have been very encouraging.

Thanks to all of you who have sent me notes to say that you are watching and being blessed by the webcasts of our worship services. Please keep watching and praying for the continued progress of the word of God and the testimony of Jesus Christ through the Shiloh Church.

Contrary to popular belief, I do not go into hiding when the Cowboys lose. But I will admit that I am shocked and stunned that the Cowboys lost to the lowly Arizona "Some-Kind-Of-Birds." I hear it was a good game. But, for the record, it is not a good game if the Cowboys lose.

It also seems that the Jaguars overcome the devastating loss last week to pull out a victory yesterday against the formidable Denver Broncos. But who's counting?