Friday, August 29, 2008

In Praise of Spiritual Unity

During these final weeks of my pastoral ministry at Mt. Sinai, I am concerned to be as helpful as I can be. So I am not throwing any hooks. I am trying to roll the ball right now the middle of the lane for the head pin (Please forgive the bowling analogy. I have no excuse.).

This week, it is on my heart and mind to preach on the importance spiritual unity, for obvious reasons. And I have been working on Psalm 133 to make this point.  Psalm 133 is a rich, brief, and vivid song. It is both simple and complex at the same time. That is, the major point of the passage is clear. But the intended meaning of the two major word pictures is a hard work for me (vv. 2-3a). The writer, the ascription in the ESV says it is "Of David," does not tell us how brothers dwelling in unity is like "precious oil" (v. 2) or "the dew on Hermon" (v. 3). He just declares that it is. It's a challenge to work my way through this text. But, as the saying goes, difficult texts make good preachers. So I will embrace this week's assignment as an opportunity for growth as a preacher, as well as an opportunity to challenge and encourage the saints at Mt. Sinai.

May the Lord help the congregation to be "completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love" (Eph. 4:2, NIV), and to "make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace" (Eph. 4:3).

Please pray that the Lord will allow me to make it home safely, and use me this coming Lord's Day to glorify God and build up his people through the faithful exposition of the word of God.