Monday, December 31, 2007

My Final Sermon for 2007

Yesterday, I preached my final sermon for 2007 to be beloved congregation, Mt. Sinai Missionary Baptist Church. I wavered between several things during the week, trying to find determine what to preach. I was praying for something that would challenge our congregation to examine themselves and renew their personal devotion to the Lord before the new year. I landed on one verse: 1 John 1:9. I preached an exposition on that verse and challenged the congregation to be honest with God about their sins and trust God’s promises to forgive their sins and cleanse their own unrighteousness. My congregation endured an hour long message on the confession of sin. I pray that much fruit will come from it. Here is the sermon skeleton.

TITLE: “Being Honest with God”

TEXT: 1 John 1:9

THEME: The confession of sin

POINT: You can be delivered from the bondage of guilt when you confession your sins to God.

OUTLINE:

I. The place of confession

A. Confession of sin is a necessary part of the Christian life.

B. Confession of sin is a normal part of the Christian life.

II. The practice of confession

A. Take personal responsibility.

B. Be specific.

C. Repent.

D. Do it promptly.

III. The power of confession

A. Confess your sins with confidence in God’s holy character.

1. God is faithful to his promises.

2. God is just in his actions.

B. Confess your sins with confidence in God’s amazing grace.

1. God gives forgiveness from the penalty of sin.

2. God gives cleansing from the pollution of sin.