Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Crossing Over

Sunday, I continued our studies in the book of Joshua. I am enjoying my personal study of Joshua. But it has been an absolute nightmare to organize my work for preaching. I am more comfortable in New Testament passages. I am not really skilled or comfortable dealing with historical narrative passages. But, of course, all scripture is God-breathed and profitable for teaching (2 Tim. 3:16). So it's important for me to work at Old Testament passages. So I have been pressing my way through the long chapters of Joshua. My goal has been to read the texts for the God-centered and/or God-exalting theme in the text.

In Joshua 3, the children of Israel finally cross over the Jordan River through the miraculous help of God. And I tried to read the passage for the church in such a was that would encourage them to trust God when they face obstacles in life that hinder their spiritual progress.

Here is the sermon skeleton.

Title: “Crossing Over”

Text: Joshua 3

Theme: The Lord instructs Joshua to lead the children of Israel over the Jordan, and performs a miracle when the people trust and obey.

Point: There is no obstacle that can hinder your progress when you follow the Lord’s call to go forward.

Probing Question: What obstacles in your life are hindering you from going forward with God?

Transitional Sentence: Joshua 3 gives us three God-centered requirements for successfully navigatimh the obstacles of life.

Outline:

I. Follow God’s Leadership (3:1-4).

A. Follow God closely (vv. 2-3).

B. Follow God reverently (v. 4).

II. Exalt God’s Glory (3:5-13).

A. Consecrate yourself (vv. 5-6).

B. Humble yourself (vv. 7-13).

III. Trust God’s Power (3:14-17).

A. Walk by faith in God’s divine authority (vv. 14-16).

B. Walk by faith in God’s perfect timing (v. 15b).

C. Walk by faith in God’s great faithfulness (v. 17).