Monday, October 30, 2006

But God!

Yesterday, I continued our exposition of the book of Ephesians with a message from Ephesians 2:4-7. It was a continuation of the message from the previous week, which focused on verses 1-3. Personally, the study of this passage has been refreshing and reinvigorating. I am so grateful for the grace and mercy of God that has saved me through Jesus Christ. And I praise the Lord that he has chosen me to be a herald of the good news. I am also grateful for the privilege of being the teaching pastor at Mt. Sinai Church. I am blessed to be in a place where the primary pressure in preaching is simply to make sure that I get the text right. I am free to preach my convictions about the scripture. And, for the most part, the congregation is receptive of the truth of God words, wherever it may lead us. I am blessed. May the word of God continue to increase among us.

Here is the sermon skeleton from yesterday's message:

Title: “But God!”

Text: Ephesians 2:4-7

Theme: Divine intervention saves sinners through Jesus Christ.

Point: Only God saves!

Transitional Sentence: Ephesians 2:4-7 explains four dynamics of the divine intervention that saves sinners through Christ.

Outline:

I. The Good News of Divine Intervention (2:4a)

II. The Motivating Factors of Divine Intervention (2:4b-c)

A. The mercy of God is rich (v. 4b).

B. The love of God is grace (v. 4c)

III. The Saving Work of Divine Intervention (2:5-6)

A. God made us alive with Christ (v. 5c).

B. God raised us up with Christ (v. 6a)

C. God seated us with Christ (v. 6b)

IV. The Eternal Purpose of Divine Intervention (2:7)