Saturday, April 22, 2006

Leaving Oklahoma City

Well, the Lord was kind to me last night. I had to preach twice - at both 7 and 10 PM. And the Lord gave me strength and wisdom for both messages. I have recently lost a storage unit. And I had deleted the message I intended to preach at 7 PM after placing the manuscript on it. But after having the storage unit for only a week, I lost it. So I didn't have my sermon. Thankfully, my secretary found a hard copy of the message in my study. She emailed it to me. And I rode to church trying to set my sermon to memory. And the Lord gave it to me. The Lord really blessed the closing message to Fairview Church. And then the Lord blessed me to preach the late night service. The church was filled to capacity. Many pastors that I respect and admire were in attendance. And, admittedly, I was quite nervous. But the Lord helped me to focus on my assignment. And I trust that those who heard the messages were helped, challenged, and encouraged.

When I made it back to my room, it was past midnight. And Pop was to come get me at 4:30 (Central), so I would be able to make my 6 AM flight. I am typing this post from Gate 4 of Will Rogers airport, in Oklahoma City. In a few minutes I will be boarding a flight to Dallas. And I am scheduled to connect there to a flight to LAX that should get me into town a little after 9 AM. The plan is for me to go straight to my speaking engagement this morning. I am scheduled to give a message/lecture on "Killing Sin in Your Life" (Colossians 3:5-9) for the men's conference of LA Bible Training School. Afterward, I intend to spend the afternoon with Crystal and the kids. I have a little more work to do for Sunday. But I am not worried about it right now. I am looking forward to seeing my wife and children. If I don't get to spend some time with them, I won't be in any state to preach and teach in the morning. So may the Lord bless me to get home safely and fulfill my speaking assignment, so I can get down to the "serious business" of hanging out with my family.